I wanted to try a fluffy white bread and picked Challah because Galit has a fondness for it.
200 ml water
2 teaspoons active dried yeast
- Sprinkle the yeast into the water in a small bowl.
- Leave for 5 minutes.
- Stir to dissolve.
500 grams strong white flour
1 teaspoon salt
- Mix together in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeasted water.
- Using a wooden spoon draw enough flour into the water to make a soft paste.
- Cover and leave to "sponge" until frothy and risen (about 20 minutes).
2 medium eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons runny honey
65 mls oil (or 55 grams melted butter )
- Add to the flour well.
- Mix altogether to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth, shiny, and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl, turning to coat the dough.
- Cover and leave to rise until doubled in size (about 2 hours, or up to 24 hours if in the fridge).
- Knock back.
- Rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape into a plait:
- Divide into 3 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 40 cm long rope.
- Tapir the ends of each rope.
- Plait the ropes.
- Or shape into a spiral:
- Roll into 50 cm long rope.
- Coil into a snail.
- Tuck the end under.
- Place on a oiled baking sheet.
- Cover and prove unitl doubled in size (about 45-60 minutes).
egg glaze (1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon of water)
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
[Optional] fine ground Instant coffee
- Brush with the egg glaze and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180° C until richly golden and hollow sounding (about 45 minutes).
- Cool on a wire rack.