I almost always serve Hotcakes, Pikelets, Scotch Pancakes and Crepes with a sweet topping of some kind. Lemon and sugar is the classic. As a child I remember assembling them at the table; we sprinkled our own sugar, squeezed over the lemon juice by hand, rolled them up, and munched away. Now I think a combination of a sauce, fresh fruit and a creamy complement is more satisfying: The most common combination at our home is Nutella, chopped bananas and Vanilla ice cream, but Maple Syrup is never far away.
- Nutella (hazelnut and chocolate spread)
- Maple syrup.
- Melted chocolate
- Raspberry sauce: blend fresh raspberries with some sugar
- Wendy's Chocolate Sauce
- Runny honey
- Golden syrup sauce: 2 tablespoons golden syrup, 25 grams butter and the juice of 2 lemons.
- Bananas. Can be chopped raw or cooked whole to soften (BBQ, grill, or microwave).
- Strawberries - fantastic with raspberry or chocolate sauce
- Mixed Berries
- Honeycomb (e.g. a roughly chopped Crunchy Bar). Ok this is obviously not a fruit but it serves the same purpose when on a crepe. Combine with chocolate of some kind.
- 1 teaspoon Icing Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Icing Sugar mixed a pinch of Cocoa Powder
- Ice Cream - I prefer Vanilla
- Whipped Cream
- Crème Fraise
- Mix of 50:50 Crème Fraise and Plain Yoghurt