Marie made this for dessert in Auckland once. I like carrot cake but this was great. The recipe is for an 8" tin, but for a 10" tin you justs need to double the recipe.
1 cup self raising flour
1 tsp bicarb of soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
- Sift flour, soda and spices into bowl.
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 1/2 cups grated carrot
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup glace ginger, chopped
- Stir in sugar, carrot, sultanas, nuts and ginger.
2/3 cup oil
2 eggs lightly beaten
- Stir in combined oil and eggs.
- Mix well.
- Pour into 8" cake pan.
- Bake in moderate slow oven (150 - 160º C) for approx 1 hour.
- Stand 5 mins.
- Spread with cream cheese icing.
[Optional] 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Spread over top of icing
The cream cheese icing
For the cream cheese icing Marie says she just guesses.
250g tub of cream cheese.
- Warm it slightly in the microwave to soften the cream cheese
- add sifted icing sugar until it tastes right.
- Happy cooking.