Unlike the dried fruit cake recipes common in New Zealand, this cake has a wet mixture. .Our recipe is based on one from an Israeli book, although we had to reduce the quantities significantly to fit in our 20 cm x 20 cm cake tin.
- Preheat oven to 180º C
70 grams butter
2/3 cups sugar
3 egg yolks (keep the whites for later)
- Mix together until a light and fluffy
1 heaped cup of flour
2 tablespoons cornflour
1 teaspoon baking powder
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl
2 tablespoons orange juice
- Add orange juice and the dry ingredients to egg mixture
3 egg whites
- Beat egg whites until it has little peaks
- Mix gently into the cake mixture.
- Lay the resulting mixture in the bottom of a greased 20 cm x 20 cm square cake tin
3/4 - 1 kg fruit, fruit (apricots, plumes, blueberries), clean and stoned, chopped
- Lay fruit on top of cake mixture
- Bake at 180º C for 40-50 minutes until golden. The cake mixture will rise through the fruit layer.
- Remove and leave to cool.
- Sprinkle on top