Posted 23 Jan 2012
For some reason I fancied Sticky Toffee Pudding on Xmas day. So I made some. It was both surprisingly easy and very good. The recipe is based on one by James Martin.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Grease and flour 20 cm square cake tin.
55 grams butter
170 grams brown sugar
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a food processor until fluffy.
3 tablespoons golden syrup
2 free-range eggs
- Add the golden syrup and eggs, a little at a time, and blend until smooth.
200 grams self-raising flour
- Add the flour and blend, at a low speed, until well combined.
- Transfer to a bowl.
200 grams pitted dates
290 ml boiling water
- Blend the dates and boiling water in a food processor to a smooth purée.
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir in the bicarbonate of soda and vanilla into the date mixture
- Pour the date mixture into the pudding batter and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake at 200 °C until the top is springy and golden-brown (about 35-40 minutes).
- Make the sauce while you wait
110 ml double cream
55 grams butter, diced
55 grams brown sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
- Heat all of the ingredients in a pan, stirring occasionally, until boiling.
- To serve, remove the pudding from the cake tin
- Cut the cake into large pieces (6-9 depending on greed)
- Place each piece of cake onto a serving plate.
- Pour the sauce over the cake
vanilla ice cream
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.