Galit wanted some creamed sweetcorn from a can. After half a can she had had enough ... my challenge was to figure out what to do with the other half a can. Corn Fritters seemed a good solution. These come out nice and puffy and are perfect with either tomato sauce and/or Thai sweet-chilli sauce.
1 egg, beaten
1 can of whole-kernel corn (250 ml) *, drained (reserve the liquid)
1/2 can of creamed Sweetcorn (i.e. 1/2 of 440 ml can) *
1 cup self raising flour (or 1 cup plain flour + 1 1/3 teaspoons baking powder)
Salt & Pepper
- Add to a bowl.
- Stir with a fork until the flour is just dampened. Less mixing is better.
- Use some of the reserved liquid to thin the batter, if you wish.
Oil for shallow frying
- Drop spoonfuls of mixture into hot oil (smaller ones are tastier - I use a desert spoon modestly loaded).
- Turn fritters once they brown on the bottom.
- Remove from pan as soon as they brown on the second side
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot.
* If using two types of corn is too fussy for you then either use:
- One can whole-kernel corn (440 ml) + 3 tablespoons of reserved liquid from can.
- One can creamed Sweetcorn (440 ml)