Posted 30 May 2006
Some musing on Converting from (Advanced) Squad Leader to Crossfire. I don't claim to be an expert on these SL or ASL, in fact I admit to virtual ignorance, but I have found some ASL scenarios I wanted to convert to Crossfire, so wanted some guidelines.
- 1 squad = 1 squad.
- Award one HMG for each MMG, HMG or 2 LMGs in Squad Leader
- Award a +2 leader for excellent Squad Leader leaders (9-1, 10-2)
- Morale 6 troops are green, 7 are regulars, 8 are veterans.
- 1 hex equals 2 inches on the table. This then means one SL map board becomes a 6'x2' table, or put another way, a 6'x4' table is two SL map boards side by side.
- Use the Moving Clock. Roll a dice at the end of every German initiative. The clock advances 30 minutes on a roll of 4+.
The large numbers at the bottom of an ASL squad are Fire Power, Range and Morale. It is important to remember that Crossfire doesn't distinguish between squads based on fire power or range, so the only factor to use is Moral. A 6-6-7 rifle squad has morale 7, which equates to Regular.
The two values for ASL leaders are Morale and Leadership, e.g. a 9-1 leader has 9 Morale and 1 Leadership
An "E" in the upper right corner of an ASL counter indicates Elite status. For these troops you might increase Morale by one level, e.g. Regular to Veteran.
If you want some ASL scenarios then check out: